Thursday, March 6, 2014

Musky Temptress ~ A New Tying Pattern Emerges





   This is a new musky fly pattern I created, unintentionally, after experimenting with new tying material and thinking about how I could change the profile of my first pattern, the BB's Forage.  After a few things changed a new pattern, yet un-named, emerged!  I think it is a sexy fly, but I doubt musky care about that.

   In addition to the usual yak hair, ostrich herl, one hank of bucktail & #2 saddle hackles, I created the head with Bug Bond light-cured resin and I added Krystal Hackle and Stever Farrar's Flash Blend to my musky tying arsenal.

   While I am truly one of those strange people who enjoy the weather variability of late-winter/early-spring, I am looking forward to taking this fly for a swim in warmer weather.  Just like humans, being pretty only takes one so far.  Our actions are what produce and make a lasting impression! (3/6/14 ~Twitch)

2 comments:

  1. Nice tie Lisa! I'd like to experiment more with the steve farrar blends. You've given me some more motivation to get going on it. Thanks

    Nice work combining the natural and synthetics too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff, I appreciate the kind words. Actually any criticisms are welcome, too. I can bounce things off James Durbin but he is still about 1.5hrs from me. As far as I know I'm the only person locally who ties musky flies. I'm looking forward to actually fishing these flies & seeing what they do. I'm staying sparse with Farrar, partially due to cost. I really like the color blending though. I'd like to see what you tie up with them! Today my mind was on trout. It was a great day to be out fishing with friends!

      Delete

Hi. I appreciate and welcome comments on this blog!
To keep it quick, I don't use word verification prior to your posting a comment. Since most spam comments are made anonymously, I just delete anonymously-posted comments. Thanks!