Thursday, February 27, 2014

Midwestern 'Misfits' Sell and Use Their Own Light-Cured Resin

   I attended the Badger Fly Fishers Spring Opener on Feb. 8, 2014.  I spent some time with tiers, including Brian J. Smolinski, in the tying room.  Brian, owner of Lund’s Fly Shop in River Falls, WI, answered questions about the techniques & materials he used to tie his big predator flies.
 
   I noticed that Brian was using a light-cured resin that was unfamiliar to me.  Having recently purchased ‘Bug Bond’, the 3rd LCR that I now own, I was very interested in the LCR that Brian was using.  Misfit UV Bond Tack-Free Cement and Misfit UV Bond LED light are available for purchase either individually or as a kit.  The purchase prices are very reasonable and would also make an exceptionally good way to step into the light-cured resin market.

   There is one Misfit viscosity offered and if you are familiar with either the Loon or Bug Bond thick and thin LCR products, Misfit’s viscosity appears to sit between the thick and thin products.  The resin comes in a 15ml bottle with a brush applicator.  The light has 21 LEDs and uses 3-AA batteries.  My Loon light currently uses 1 bulb and this will allegedly focus the light and allow for a faster cure rate.  However, I wouldn’t mind a multi-LED light – if one LED bulb burned out I wouldn't be out of commission.

   The Misfit LCR products are available at Lund’s Fly Shop or by contacting them on-line or by phone at 715-425-2415.  Links for the page for the light-cured resin products & for Lund’s Fly Shop & Misfit Fly Co. websites are listed below.

http://www.misfitfly.com

1 comment:

  1. I am athe inventor of Lund's Misfit Resin. I supply it to Lunds and they relabel it. It is also carried in The We Tie IT Fly Shop in Boulder Junction under their label, and at Onthevise.com.

    Onthevise tested my Crystal UV Resin against other resins.

    http://onthevise.com/blog/10-clear-coat-durability-test-poppers

    I now have a Flexible and thinner viscosity resin called Flexthin. You can see both my resins here with comments by user:

    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/tack-free-fast-cure-crystal-uv-cure-resin.97151/

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I appreciate and welcome comments on this blog!
To keep it quick, I don't use word verification prior to your posting a comment. Since most spam comments are made anonymously, I just delete anonymously-posted comments. Thanks!